I’ve never understood how people can skip breakfast. I’ve always been a morning person, and I wake hungry and ready to start my day. One problem is cereal doesn’t keep me full. By the time 10:00 rolls around, I’m foraging through my desk for a granola bar.
One of my breakfast favorites is a smoothie, where I can pack in plenty of healthy foods to keep me going until lunch. This Apple Cinnamon Smoothie is one of my favorites. Not a huge fan of spinach? That’s the best part- you can’t even taste it.
- 1 handful of fresh spinach (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1 scoop of protein powder (optional)*
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup of milk (I use skim milk- almond milk or soy milk would work as well)
- *I'm usually not a big fan of protein powder, but in this case it helps keep me full longer. As an added bonus, my protein powder is vanilla flavored, which adds a delightful flavor to this smoothie
- Add all ingredients to blender according to blender directions. If you have a Ninja blender like we do, add the ingredients in the order listed (the spinach will be on top, furthest from the blades, when mixed).
- Blend on high until smoothie is well mixed (I use the "Pro Extraction" button for my Ninja blender). Enjoy!
Sometimes I make this smoothie ahead of time and store it in the fridge until I’m ready to drink it (no longer than overnight). The only problem is after a few hours the smoothie starts to separate and the juice falls to the bottom, leaving a thick foam on top. This is easily remedied by re-blending for a few seconds or shaking thoroughly. I like to keep my smoothie in bottles so they are easy to take on the go and are easily remixed with a quick shake. Most of my bottles are recycled Starbucks bottles- and my green smoothie looks a little like the Green Tea Frappuchino- so much so that my coworker was very excited that Starbucks was bottling and selling them. Sorry- just my breakfast smoothie!
The cinnamon flavor really comes through in this bright smoothie (try adding nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice to mix things up a little). I love starting my morning with the sweet smoothie- and I get a full serving of vegetables without even trying!
I am now officially on a “smoothie kick”. I enjoy trying new recipes, though this one remains my favorite. Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe? What should I try next?